6.20.2011

To Read Or Not To Read?

So I thought I'd write about something that I've read in the newspapers that's been bugging me recently.  Just need to get this off my chest.


.GET LONDON READING.

The Evening Standard have been running with a campaign on getting London to read.  I've not read everything that they've printed.  But from what I've read, the basic jist of it is that the literacy levels in London are extremely low with stats like 1 in 4 children who leave primary schools cannot read and that 1 in 3 children do not own a book at home.  Also, they ran the story with the little girl Aurella and how she's never had a book & the only book she had is an Argos catalogue!?!  All I have to say is...

ERRRRR... WTH??

And this is what I have to say about it - I believe reading ability is very much dependent on 2 main factors (obviously there are lots of different things that are contributing factors) -

1) Teachers - children go to school to learn.  That's what school is about right?? Teachers are being paid good money to teach kids especially basic things like reading.  I do not blame the teachers as such because my flatmate is a primary school teacher & she does a very good job.  But if it's certain areas in London that are really problematic, then surely issues right at the heart should be addressed first and foremost.  If reading is a big issue, have more of a reading structure in place! Simple as.

2) PARENTS - so teachers do their job, but parents also need to pull their weight too.  The least they could do is to provide some books at home.  I know that there are alot of people who have come from abroad so many the parents are not so hot on reading the English language HOWEVER they could at least buy the damn thing.  With that girl Aurella, she didn't have 1 single book but an argos catalogue?! WTF is that about? Then the mum is the only 1 to blame.  Surely she can afford to buy 1 book for her... if not, then there are things in the country called libraries where you can borrow books for freeeeeee.

I just don't relaly get this campaign and just think certain issues should be addressed before they start extending their hands and getting people to 'donate' towards volunteers.


Sorry- rant over.



Love Tx

No comments:

Post a Comment